3 ways how to import a .sketch file into Avocode
1. Import Sketch designs by drag & drop (on Windows, Linux, macOS or via the browser)
2. Open Avocode and click on ADD DESIGN or UPLOAD FILES button. Browse to select the design file you wish to upload.
3. Import Sketch artboards via a plugin (on macOS only)
If you have Sketch app installed on your machine, download and install the Avocode app. The Avocode Sketch plugin will be automatically installed along with the app.
How to upload new Sketch design versions?
Just drag & drop the Sketch file on top of the previous Sketch file version in Avocode or import it via our Sketch plugin (at best use the version installed along with our 3.0 update or higher - Sketch plugin v. 50.0.0)
☝🏼Make sure uploaded artboards are named exactly as they were in the previous version and that they are located on the same Sketch page as they were previously. Avocode will take care of the rest.
If some artboards already exist in the project, they are synced and added as new versions.
If the artboard has a different name than in the previous version, it will be added as a new design.
If there is a file with the same name in the project where you’re trying to import your design, Avocode will ask you if you want to update the file (new design will be added as a new version), or keep both.
1. If the layer bounds of a text layer are smaller than the whole area of text characters in the area, the text layer in Avocode will be cut away. You can fix this simply by going to Sketch and enlarging the text field so the whole text stays inside the layer bounds.
This is caused, because Sketch allows such behavior:
- When you create a text layer like this in Sketch at first the whole text line is visible (even what overlaps outside the text layer bounds), but when you edit it for the second time the overlapping parts of the text layer are cut away.
- We know how to expand the bounds to make the whole text layer visible, but this would change the text layer bound, i.e., they would differ from Sketch. We need to collect more user feedback to decide which way is better.
2. At the moment, we do not support Sketch 58 smart layout feature. We are in contact with the Sketch team and working on its implementation.
The upload takes way too long
That might happen when there are too many layers in the design. The reason may vary, but usually, it is some form of a pattern formed from a lot of vector layers (stripes, world map made of vector dots,...).You can combine all the path layers which form that shape to be exported as one layer with Layer -> Combine -> Union - this will create a single layer out of them that should export correctly and much faster.
You get a "Processing failed" error
First of all make sure that the Sketch file actually contains at least one artboard. We cannot display layers which are not inside of any artboard at the moment, so if we can't find at least one artboard in the design, the upload fails.
Second thing that might cause this issue is when all your artboards or Pages are prefixed with “-“ or “_” in the artboard or Page name. These symbols (“-“ or “_”) are our syntax marks for skipping artboards and Pages in case you do not want to sync them with your file, therefore if all artboards or Pages are prefixed with it, the upload fails.
- In case of any other problems, please do let us know in the in-app chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org.